Join Us For A Life Changing Event ... Renewal From The Roots!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Microlending And Christian Missions


I'm a big fan of microlending as way for developing world - Majority world - people to work their way out of poverty without developing dependency on handouts, much like the idea I described for our culture when discussing ways to end the usury of pay day and title loans.

When mircolending is done in conjunction with a Christian Agency like World Relief, my hope is that it's the equivalent of "giving a cup of cold water in Jesus' name" (Matthew 10:42)... not just to benefit an entrepreneur's present bliss, but their eternal bliss as well.

For me, microlending is a necessary corollary to such other aspects of mission as evangelism and disciplemaking.

That's why I've decided to support a Cambodian entrepreneur through World Relief and Kiva.org

I wish I had $10,000 to put to good use in a portfolio of these microloans right now! They don't earn interest, but the principle is repaid so it can be recirculated!

The thought of investing $10,000 in such loans is more thrilling to me than the thought of adding an extra $10,000 to a personal retirement account!

Visit Kiva.org to see just how easy it is.